LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Is it legal to video tape someone without their knowledge in

Customer Question

Is it legal to video tape someone without their knowledge in Mississippi when they are not a suspect in any type of crime
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:

1. What activity was the person engaged in while being taped?

2. Was audio recorded as well?

3. Where was the person taped?

4. Who (type of person, not a proper name) did the taping?

5. For what purpose was the taping performed?

Thanks!

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: . Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My sons father informed me that he has someone videotaping my house to see who all comes and goes from it. He says he has someone on tape that is not me or my son using drugs in thier own vehicle outside my house. I don't do drugs and when I found out this person did them I broke my relationship with him off.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

Many thanks for your patience in writing back and awaiting the formulation of my answer!

QUESTION: "Is it legal to video tape someone without their knowledge in Mississippi when they are not a suspect in any type of crime"

ANSWER: Here is how this works. Mississippi law employs a "reasonable expectation of privacy" test. In other words, the law draws a line between videotaping in public as opposed to say in a locker room where naked people are changing clothes. Now, in this instance, I regret to say that the law does allow the conduct you have described. I would not like it one bit were I in your shoes, no arguments here. It brings me no pleasure to be the bearer of such news, please believe me, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is this is lawful even without any suspicion of a crime.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.
Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I dont like or agree with this answer. I am being video taped at my home without my knowledge. He is watching when I come home, what time I leave, and who I have at my house. This can't possibly be legal. It is stalking!

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

Kindly just let me know if you are having any problem with submitting your acceptance of my answer. I would be glad to help out if so or ask our support team for assistance if needed.

QUESTION: "I dont like or agree with this answer."

ANSWER: I agree with you, absolutely, and I would hate having this taking place in my life. We are on the same page here, no arguments. But, that does not change the state of the currently existing law. I could tell you that what you have described is illegal. But, I think better of you. Rather than lying to you, I prefer to give you the truthful answer, good or bad, which I have done here. I have no power to change the law, as I am not am member of the Legislature. I can only accurately report it to you. If you had cancer, but your doctor said "no" to make your feel better, even when the true answer was "yes", that would be a terrible disservice to you. Likewise, as a lawyer, many times I have the unhappy job of delivering unfavorable yet entirely correct news such as in this case.