Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Im the plaintiff in an impermissible purpose/FCRA case. One

I'm the plaintiff in an impermissible purpose/FCRA case. One defendant filed a Motion for Summary Judgment with an affidavit from the President of the corporation. The MSJ was denied because the attorney didn't follow FRCP or the Local Rules.
I have now noticed that the affidavit, which states in the first line, "I, _________, first being duly sworn, upon oath state..." yet the Notary used an Acknowledgment, not a jurat, and used a form not allowed in California, where it was notarized. The case is in Arkansas, where a jurat is also required to make an affidavit valid for evidence in court.
Since the affidavit is part of the record, even though the MSJ was denied, should I file an objection to the Affidavit due to the defect? Or keep my mouth shut now and only use the objection at trial should it get that far? I'm thinking if I use it at trial they won't have time to fix it, am I correct in that?
You may file a motion to strike or quash the affidavit based on improper form. However, if they plan on relying on the affidavit in trial and they submit that as part of their evidence, then you can wait to object to the affidavit at that time and move to strike and quash it then. The reason here is that in order to use an affidavit in trial the parties have to stipulate because if not and the party who swore out the affidavit is not present in court to testify, then the affidavit is considered hearsay and inadmissible anyhow. Thus, you objecting to it before trial is a judgment call for you to make as they cannot just introduce the affidavit as evidence without your agreement or without having the party testify in person.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”