How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds brother has become disabled. He can no longer work

This answer was rated: brother has become disabled. He can no longer work his job and they are going to fire him because he is non union. He is having to go to doctors and physical therapy for C6 C7 Left buldgeing disks on left side of neck and also C4 and C5 on the right side. He has two children that he has to pay child support for. He and his wife are divorced. He needs to know what to do first? He needs income now and we know that applying for SS Disabilty takes time and is most of the time denied. He had health ins. thru his work that will now be lost. What should we do first?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Does he have disability insurance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


ok,is your brother of retirement age or does he plan to continue to seek employment after being terminated?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No he is only 42 years old. His doctors think this will be a perminant disablity. He can not work now and does not no how long he will be disabled. They are talking about surgery also. But his main concern is an income, because of the monthly payments he, food, expences, child support ect
ok, regarding income, he may be eligible for public benefits, does he have less than $3000 in liquid assets?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Explain liquid please. He has a home with a mortgage. A beat up old Ford truck, but thats about it.

I mean cash, or accounts which he can draw cash from.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes he has a bank account but not with more than $3000 in it. He's having to ask family for help with paying bills.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX should apply for FIP through the MI DHS. for your reference, here is a link to the website detailing the cash assistance program:,4562,7-124-5453_5526_61308---,00.html

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
MShore and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you