Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Can I file the papers on my own to get my name changed legally?

Can I file the papers on my own to get my name changed legally? I was divorced in SC in 1993.
Thank you for your question.

The answer is "yes", you can. While the process can be somewhat long, no attorney is really required for you to file for such a change. What you will need to do is file a "Petition for Name Change" in whatever state you are located in. If you are in South Carolina, then file there. To obtain a copy of the petition you can contact the courthouse, speak to the clerk, and have them provide you with a copy, or you can also contact the local law library so as to obtain a formal template that you would be able to review and modify for your own needs. Then, once that petition is granted, you can obtain the order and contact the Social Security Administration to update your records, go to the DMV and obtain a new driver's license, and otherwise update all your other documentation. But no, you really do not need an attorney to file this for you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.