How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file the papers on my own to get my name changed legally?

This answer was rated:

Can I file the papers on my own to get my name changed legally? I was divorced in SC in 1993.
Thank you for your question.

The answer is "yes", you can. While the process can be somewhat long, no attorney is really required for you to file for such a change. What you will need to do is file a "Petition for Name Change" in whatever state you are located in. If you are in South Carolina, then file there. To obtain a copy of the petition you can contact the courthouse, speak to the clerk, and have them provide you with a copy, or you can also contact the local law library so as to obtain a formal template that you would be able to review and modify for your own needs. Then, once that petition is granted, you can obtain the order and contact the Social Security Administration to update your records, go to the DMV and obtain a new driver's license, and otherwise update all your other documentation. But no, you really do not need an attorney to file this for you.


Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you