Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If I was served a TPO in Georgia and I do not appear at the

Customer Question
hearing, what happens?...
If I was served a TPO in Georgia and I do not appear at the hearing, what happens?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
5/1/2012
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

If you fail to appear at the hearing, the TPO will likely be made into a permanent order. The hearing is the opportunity for both parties to present their case. For the petitioner, it would be the opportunity to present evidence to substantiate her allegations. For you, it would be the opportunity to present evidence to refute her allegations. So, if you do not appear, all the evidence will favor the petitioner and her request for a protective order would likely be granted.

Please let me know if anything requires clarification.

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

What does permanent mean? When we get mad and start texting or emailing at times it gets nasty. She saves everyone, I delete them because my thought was we could have stopped if we didn't care. On the top she checked the boxes for me to undergo eval for alcohol/drug abuse and follow treatment and go to batterer's program. I've never touched her

The TPO can remain in place after the hearing for up to six months. If the petitioner wanted to have it extended further, she would need to take the matter back to court.

But can she force me to something as stupid as alcohol/ drug evaluation and treatment and a batterer's class?

It's legally possible though I would suggest that it is unlikely. I've handled hundreds of protective orders and, in my opinion, this sort of remedy is rarely granted. In my experience, this is usually reserved for more extreme cases, perhaps where there is a marriage, minor children and/or rather serious allegations. Based on your statements, it seems inappropriate here.

I have a 12 year old daughter? Last ?, she sent my a picture and an email that was obviously was hacked months after our divorce was final, is that not extremely illegal.

Yes, hacking someone's email account is illegal.

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney