How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juliana Your Own Question
Juliana, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1651
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Juliana is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you file a petition with the Court of Common Pleas in

Customer Question

how do you file a petition with the Court of Common Pleas in your state for a name change?
How much does it cost?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.


The procedure and cost of a name change vary from state to state. In what state are you considering a name change?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

In Pennsylvania, a Petition for Change of Name of Adult must be filed in the county in which the petitioner (the person who is seeking the name change) lives. I'm not sure what county in Pennsylvania is concerned here, but, many counties in Pennsylvania have a court website where you can download the Petition.

The filing fee varies from one county to another, but, a typical price would be from $150-200. Also, there are additional charges such as a fee for having fingerprints taken by a local police agency, and a fee for publication of the notice of name change.

As an example, here is a link to the Lancaster County Court of Commons Pleas information (including sample petitions) on name changes. It gives a complete discussion of the procedure that is involved, as well.

Again, it's likely that the county where you wish to file a name change has similar information that is specific to that particular county.

Hope this helps.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.

May I ask why my answer was too late? With all due respect, I provided you with a complete response (which involved researching Pennsylvania state law and possible filing fees, as well as a sample petition and instructions) less than 10 minutes after you gave me the additional information that I requested, i.e., your state.

If you need anything further, please ask.

Related Legal Questions