Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

how can I keep the neighbors kids and their friends from repeatedly

how can I keep the...
how can I keep the neighbors' kids and their friends from repeatedly heaving basketballs at my fence and house? The fence posts have been loosened, the boards compromised,. My house has been hit so hard that the ball took the paint off. I as at wits end. The police are no help.
5/1/2012
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Have you contacted the adults in writing to advise that the continued heaving of basketballs at your fence or house will not be tolerated, and should it occur once more, you will file suit for damages?
Yes, I did tell them that my next step was to get an attorney. Is there such a thing as a peace bond? What is the criteria to have a peace bond put out against someone? I am becoming quite fearful of the neighbors. I feel very threatened by their lack of concern for what I have expressed to them re damages to the house, etc. I can't even go out and sit in the yard for fear that I will be injured. Now it's 8:45pm abd there goes the ball.
Did you tell them in writing, or was it verbal?
It was verbally given. And worse yet, I don't even know their last names. They are relatively new to the block.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX be in writing to create a paper trail should you need to sue them (as you can submit the prior written notice as evidence of your attempt to resolve this matter amicably). Regarding a peace bond, you would need to file an affidavit with the magistrate or justice of the peace claiming that the neighbor has breached the peace. At the magistrate's option, the neighbor may be questioned under oath, as well as any witnesses. If the magistrate is satisfied there is just cause to fear that the neighbor is about to commit the threatened offense, the magistrate can issue a summons ordering the neighbor to appear in front of the magistrate for a hearing.

If the magistrate determines there is just cause to fear that the neighbor is about to commit an offense or otherwise breach the peace, the magistrate may order the neighbor to give a peace bond, not to exceed 6 months in duration.

At the end of the six-month period, the peace bond is automatically discharged and the money returned to the defendant if he has complied with its conditions and not breached the peace.

Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
MShore
MShore, Attorney
MShore
MShore
MShore, Attorney