How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juliana Your Own Question
Juliana, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1651
Experience:  23 years of experience; former prosecutor, magistrate, child support attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Juliana is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was convicted of felony 12 years ago and was on probation

Resolved Question:

My son was convicted of felony 12 years ago and was on probation for five years.

He had had a job for 10 years after his conviction but lost it in the economic down turn.

Although he has had a completely clean record before and after his felony he has found it impossible to find a new job since his record of one mistake always turns up in an employer search.

He is currently camping out in a friends one room apartment and living on the small amount of money which I can manage to send him each month.

I am running out of money..... is their any way of having the conviction removed from his record so that he might possibly find any kind of job?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


In Connecticut, "erasure of criminal records" (also known as expungement) is only available to people who:


* were found not guilty or had their charges dismissed

* received a pardon for their crimes

* disposed of their cases with a nolle prosequi

* were convicted on charges that are now decriminalized


However, a pardon might be successful in your son's situation. A petition and supporting documentation would be filed with the Connecticut Board of Pardons to obtain one of two types of pardons: either an absolute pardon, or a provisional pardon.


If an absolute pardon is granted, records of a criminal conviction are removed from public view so that they cannot be used to prevent you from obtaining employment, being granted certain state issued licenses, or being allowed to cross international borders with a valid passport. If a provisional pardon is granted, criminal conviction records are not removed from public view, but it is still helpful in removing barriers to obtaining state issued licenses and employment.


In 2008 in Connecticut, about 60% of all pardon applications were granted and 40% were denied, so there is a better than 50-50 chance that your son could successfully obtain a pardon for his felony conviction.


Hope this helps. Good luck!


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the answer but it does not address the question.
I already know all that you had written, I was hoping to find an expedited way of affectin at least a provisional pardon.
It does not seem fair that my son may become homeless because of one mistake made twelve years ago and for which he had served five years of probation
Expert:  Juliana replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry for your son's situation. However, I am unable to suggest an expedited solution because there is none available.


The Board of Pardons website states that all applications are received and processed continuously on a first come, first served basis, and that there is no way to expedite the process, which typically takes about 12 months. The Board of Pardons website states:


16. Why does the process take so long?

-The granting of a pardon process is an extreme remedy. It is a thoughtful and deliberative process where many things are considered. The process takes up to twelve months because of the large number of applications received by the Board of Pardons on a monthly basis. The record checks that need to be completed and the sheer logistics involved in clearing a person's criminal history contribute to the length of the process.



Juliana and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you