How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Atty Your Own Question
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9394
Experience:  attorney at self
Type Your Legal Question Here...
N Cal Atty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will be married 43 years in June. Cant seem to find record

Customer Question

Will be married 43 years in June. Can't seem to find record for my marriage. Have contacted all the towns in NJ where they might be , but no luck. My brother who married us said he mailed in all the paper work but dose not remember exact address. Is there any way we can get a marriage license my brother and witness are still around I have wedding photos , I am concerned my wife will need it for social security when I die. Yes have contacted town where we got our license, they have no record.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 years ago.
May I ask which in which County the marriage was performed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 years ago.
lists a lot of registrars there. If you cannot remember which one you dealt with, the easiest way to get a copy is probably through VitalChek, see
states that Vital Chek is authorized to do this for you.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If no record is found is there any way we could satisfy social security.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 years ago.
Have you been filing your taxes as married?

Do you have any children whose birth certificates name you both as married?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes for 42 years years 2 children
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is our time over ? No more answer s for me?
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 5 years ago.
No but I cannot be here every minute. I try to check in a few times every day, and I apologize for the delay.

Thank you for accepting my answer.

The tax returns and birth certificates are both evidence of the marriage and should be acceptable to Social Security if you cannot obtain a copy of the marriage certificate. But I have gotten good reports about Vital Chek having located documents for people who were unable to find them on their own.

So unless you want to call every Registrar listed at
Vital Chek seems like the easiest way to get a copy the document.