Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I lent money to a friend, $6,000.00, with a repayment of $7,500.00

Customer Question
I lent money to a...
I lent money to a friend, $6,000.00, with a repayment of $7,500.00 within a month. He has not paid me back and it has been over a year since the due date for payment. I wrote up a simple document stating the amount and terms and we each signed the paper. What can I do to get my money?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
4/24/2012
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Thank you for your question.

If you have a a valid and a signed agreement, what you can do at this point is file against your friend via California Small Claims courts for the amount owed to you ($7,500) plus filing fees since that happens to be the Small Claims limit anyhow. You can file on grounds of breach of contract and for collection of a debt.

Here is a link to the whole Small Claims Court process in California, including the links to forms that you will need to get started and where to find them:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/index.shtml

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney