How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lent money to a friend, $6,000.00, with a repayment of $7,500.00

Resolved Question:

I lent money to a friend, $6,000.00, with a repayment of $7,500.00 within a month. He has not paid me back and it has been over a year since the due date for payment. I wrote up a simple document stating the amount and terms and we each signed the paper. What can I do to get my money?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If you have a a valid and a signed agreement, what you can do at this point is file against your friend via California Small Claims courts for the amount owed to you ($7,500) plus filing fees since that happens to be the Small Claims limit anyhow. You can file on grounds of breach of contract and for collection of a debt.

Here is a link to the whole Small Claims Court process in California, including the links to forms that you will need to get started and where to find them:

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you