How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29823
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cant get my son a social security card without a state issued

Resolved Question:

I can't get my son a social security card without a state issued id and I can't get a state issued id without a social security card. There is a bit of a problem here. I can't be the only one having this issue. How can I get my son a replacement id without all of the red tape? I got one answer from an attorney and another answer from the ssa site.

Please tell me how I can get my son a replacement social security card so that he can get a state issued id so he can get a job.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm assuming that your son is under 18, so if that's not the case, please let me know. To replace a child's social security card, you need a certified copy of his birth certificate, plus proof of his identity and yours. Yours is easy - just show them your driver's license. To prove his identity, you need something with his name and a picture (and you need him). The best option is a U.S. passport, if he has one. If he doesn't, then you're looking for hospital records, religious records such as a baptismal certificate, school identification card, and things like that.

Interestingly enough, you can actually get a passport for him by producing your ID and swearing to his identity at a passport office (but it takes a few weeks to get the actual passport). That's not going to help you get what you need quickly, but it may be worth looking into if you don't have any other way of getting the identification documents he needs. A valid passport is considered sufficient ID for most situations.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 19 years old. Is there something different that I would have to do? And what would be a passport office?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
For the passport, no, it's the same. A passport office is anywhere that you can apply for a passport. Here's a list of New Jersey facilities - I'm not sure exactly where in the state you are located.

For the social security card, a parent can request a replacement without the child present if you have enough other information related to his birth. Since he's an adult, the difference is that he absolutely will need to apply on his own behalf - you can't do it for him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How much does a passport cost? From what I'm being told it can be $300. He would have to pay $300 to get an id that costs $24. He has his birth certificate but no other id. There is nothing else he can do?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
The book is $135. The book plus the card (which is used to travel to Mexico and Canada only) is $165. There are extra fees if you need it expedited.

Social security does not list the passport card as a form of ID, so if you're going to go through the whole process, the book is probably a better option.

I do realize that it's ridiculous to spend a lot of money to get an ID that should only cost $24, but, if there's no other way to prove his identity, it might be necessary. And the passport is good for 10 years, so he may be able to use it to travel at some point, making it worth the added expense.
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you