MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I have a lean on my 1984 Mazda truck ... lean was placed on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a lean on my 1984 Mazda truck ...
lean was placed on July 1995 - no money was involved.
I don't remember why it was done.
And, now it has over 200 thousand miles on it.
i tried to sell it and no one can buy it because of this lean.
i even tried to give it away.
No one wants it because of this lean.
How do I find out if there are any Statue of Limitations of this lean - if there are any?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. There is no statute of limitations on the lien, it remains indefinitely. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't like the answer ... need to know how I can get it off?

I will be happy to give you credit if you can give me a direction to go to
get the lean off. If the person is no longer alive - what are my alternatives if any?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
ok, as you cannot locate the lienholder, you need to document this for DMV to remove the lien. These are the steps you need to follow:
1. Send a certified letter addressed to the legal owner shown on your vehicle registration.
2. Submit the returned certified letter, or the postal receipt after 30 days, to the DMV.
3. Complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256). The REG 256 should include the license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), the year and make of the vehicle, and indicate that the legal owner is unavailable.
4. Attach a Motor Vehicle Defective Bond, purchased in the current retail value of the vehicle. The bond must be purchased from a business currently licensed to do business in California. Consult the Bonds-Surety & Fidelity section of the phone book.
5. Keep a copy of all documents for your records.
You may submit these documents either in person or by mail
For your reference, see http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/lob/lob_faq.htm#q9
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a little confusing working with this online knowing where to go ... sorry.
I want to know if there is any way to get the lean off if the person or company is not alive? In other words what are my alternatives.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
you can get the lien off. But you must follow certain steps to arrive at this end.
Those steps are:
1. Send a certified letter addressed to the legal owner (lien holder) shown on your vehicle registration.
3. Complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256). The REG 256 should include the license plate number, vehicle identification number (VIN), the year and make of the vehicle, and indicate that the legal owner is unavailable. The statement of facts is available here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.htm
You can also schedule an appointment at your local DMV to obtain the forms and receive assistance throughout the process of completing and filing them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the same answer as before .... a few minutes ago. I was going back and forth trying to find out where to get my answer. Not always sure how to operate online. Sorry for the confusion. Hope I am not billed twice for this.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
You are not billed twice, but please let me know if you have any follow up questions.