Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is

Customer Question
disabled and another disability check...
Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is disabled and another disability check for a child who is not disabled?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2012
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Could you explain a little more?
I just found out that someone i know may be claiming disabiltiy for themselves but also for a child. The Adult is disabled but the child is not.

Thank you for the clarification.

Your Question: Is it legal to receive a disability check for oneself who is disabled and another disability check for a child who is not disabled?

Response: Yes, it is legal. A child who is not disabled can get benefits simply because his/her parent is receiving Social Security Disability benefits:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10085.html#a0=0

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law