How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David L Your Own Question
David L
David L, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3255
Experience:  Corporate, Real Estate, Estate Planning, Probate and General Litigation attorney 14+ years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
David L is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

illinois dept of revenue has wrongly assumed me to be a resident

Customer Question

illinois dept of revenue has wrongly assumed me to be a resident of Il in 1988 and 89 and is charging me back taxes and interest and penalty. I sent proof of residency in Ca. and AZ to the Board of Appeals and was given a phone hearing with one person, who said,"its clear you werent a resident of Il". Sometime later a separate 3 person panel issued a Memoradum of Order stating the petition was granted in part. They will waive the interest and penalty on the condition that I pay the tax liability. Do I have any options left? if so what?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I am still waiting
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  David L replied 5 years ago.
Hello. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a process to contest decisions made by the department. Once you appeal, if the decision is not in your favor, I believe the next step is to file suit in court. You would need to decide whether it is worth suing over or whether it makes the most sense to settle and be done with it. You might threaten to sue and see if you can either convince them to drop it or lower the amount further. It might also help to have an attorney draft a pre-suit letter on your behalf.