How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Your Own Question
MShore, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
MShore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am the survived sibling to which my brother had a

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am the survived sibling to which my brother had a life insurance policy through his employer worth $66k. My brother conveyed last September that I was the sole beneficiary to the policy. He passed from a battle with cancer earlier this month. I discovered that after he passed that there are now 2 beneficiaries - his domestic partner of only one year who was also a male nurse. The change of the policy occurred 9 days before his death, 5 days after he stopped eating. My brother was also on heavy pain meds such as hydromorphone. My opinion is that the change regarding his policy occurred when my brother was obviously NOT of sound mind and was in no healthy state to do so. I can get documentation from hospice & the hospital where my brother was treated. How can I contest this either by myself or maybe a paralegal as I don't have the funds to afford a lawyer. The policy funds were to be used for a DBS brain surgery I need and now?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Did MetLife agree to suspend disbursing the policy proceeds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all i received was a confirmation of the fax but the assistant on the phone conveyed to me that is what I needed to do. She gave me the policy info and I faxed the request.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need to obtain a judicial review of the conveyance to invalidate it, otherwise the insurance company will be bound by the actual terms of the conveyance, notwithstanding any claim you have as to your brother's state of mind. You would accomplish this review by filing a petition with the probate court to be appointed the personal representative of your brother's estate. For your reference, here is a link to the forms you need:

Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, my brother's domestic partner is the personal representative to of his will which was done on the same date which I am contesting(another matter). In probate, do I need to file both issues together or separately since the insurance policy is not in the will as I see. Unfortunately the man had power of attorney as well. Thank you.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX of this you really need to retain counsel to challenge the poa, as well as personal representative status. All issues relative to the assets of your brother's estate would be handled in probate. I know you mentioned that you cannot afford counsel, but should really consider pro bono services. where in AZ are you located?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tempe, Arizona
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a pro bono agency in your area. It is the Maricopa County Volunteer Lawyers Program:

Primary Address: PO Box 21538
City: Phoenix
State: AZ
General Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
MShore and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you