Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

California law: is it legal to file a property loss with your

Customer Question
California law: is it...
California law: is it legal to file a property loss with your personal insurance and with the HOA at the property where the loss occurred?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
4/1/2012
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 5 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma. It is indeed proper to do both. Clearly, you cannot recover twice, but no harm in pursuing both options. It is preferable to do so and limit payments by insurer and possible premium increase. Also, insurer may not cover entire loss.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Thank you for your prompt response. The issue at hand is whether it is legal to recover twice - once from your personal insurance and once from the HOA? It would not seem to be appropriate, however apparently what is happening. Are there legal ramifications?
Not legal to recover twice. Typically insurer would want repayment. Have a great week. Kindly click accept
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney