Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Am I able to sue someone in the commonwealth of pennsylvania,

Customer Question
as I was rear ended...
Am I able to sue someone in the commonwealth of pennsylvania, as I was rear ended at a red light. I was not hurt. The accident was listed as a careless driving on the other drivers be half. I have full-tort auto insurance. My car did need to be fixed. The lady had state farm auto insurance they paid the bill .
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2012
Lawyer: J.Hazelbaker, Attorney replied 5 years ago
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Under Pennsylvania rules, you may sue a tortfeasor (the negligent party) in the Pennsylvania county in which they reside or in the county where the accident occurred.

J.Hazelbaker :

However, in order to prevail, you have to prove:

J.Hazelbaker :

1) that the party was negligent

J.Hazelbaker :

and

J.Hazelbaker :

2) that you were damaged.

J.Hazelbaker :

If the party's insurance coverage paid for your vehicle damage and you were not hurt

J.Hazelbaker :

you would have to prove other damage to property or another individual for the case to be tenable.

J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney