How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a business owner, am I in my legal rights to lower the percentage

Resolved Question:

As a business owner, am I in my legal rights to lower the percentage of commission that I've been paying someone?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Under Louisiana law, unless the commission is provided for in a written contractual agreement, you may alter it unilaterally at your convenience.

If, however, the commission is contained within a contractual agreement, it may only be altered according to the terms of that agreement.

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had no written agreement but we obviously verbally spoke about it. Is that considered to be a contract in LA?


Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

It can be, but in rare circumstances and only if all the terms were agreed to orally, including duration. However, if the oral term was for more than a year, it is unlikely that a court would enforce it.

To make the change more reasonable, and less likely to be challenged or for that challenge to be successful, it would be wise to provide notice of the impending change. For example, for sales occuring after March 31st, the effective commission rate will be X%.

J.Hazelbaker and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you