Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How to file a restraining order in Texas...My husbands ex-wife

Customer Question
calls and Txts my phone...
How to file a restraining order in Texas...My husbands ex-wife calls and Txts my phone, calls me names. I cannot change my phone # XXXXX I use it for business. I block her # XXXXX she calls or txts from another
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
3/9/2012
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 5 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney

Thank you for trusting Just Answer. I will answer as clearly as possible. I do ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

Does she threaten violence?

No, just mainly calls me names
In Texas A protective order is a civil court order issued to prevent continuing acts of family violence.

Family violence is basically any act by one member of a family or household intended to physically harm another member, a serious threat of physical harm, or the abuse of a child.

Family includes blood relatives or relatives by marriage, former spouses, parents (married or not) of the same child, foster parents and foster children, or any member or former member of a household (people living in the same house, related or not).

To get a protective order you have to prove that the person is threatening harm to you and prove that they are "family." You can likely prove "family" since this is the ex-wife of your husband. However, if she is not threatening violence then it would not generally warrant a civil protective order.

Here is the form if you want to fill it out and try: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/AG_Publications/pdfs/protectiveKit_dv.pdf

She may be liable for criminal harassment charges. You need to documents ALL phone calls, exact dates, times and words said. If you report that information to the police they may act on it if it frequent enough.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advice. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

Finally, I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear John..."

John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney