Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

can a hospital garnish wages if small payments are being paid

can a hospital garnish wages if small payments are being paid to them each month?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

My name isXXXXX am an Attorney and would be glad to help

When a hospital sends a bill to a patient, they want and expect payment in full of the entire amount. Creditors, including hospitals, can garnish your wages, but they must first sue you, obtain a judgment, ask the Court to issue a "Writ of Garnishment", then the judgment creditor can serve the Writ of Garnishment on your employer and your employer would have to obey the Writ of Garnishment or else he will be in Contempt of Court.

Even if you are on a subscription plan or have made a deposit to JustAnswer, you still need to click ACCEPT for my Answer(s) before I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you for your understanding

Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated