Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I was told I had to get my subpoena from the sheriffs station,

Customer Question
I was told I had...
I was told I had to get my subpoena from the sheriff's station, do i have to? and if it isn't served to me will i get in trouble for not going to court?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2012
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
No, you are under no obligation to go and pick it up, the duty is on them to serve it on you.

If you aren't served with the subpoena you won't get into any major trouble for not going to court.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
It's a domestic case against my boyfriend, and I do not wish to testify against him, i dropped the protection order i had, and want nothing to do with the court. From what i understand they want to subpoena me because otherwise they don't have a strong enough case against him, will they most likely drop the case or will it be continued? it's been 2 weeks now.
It will probably be continued once if they don't get you served. The next time they will dismiss it.

What times are they allowed to subpoena you?
There are no set times. Whenever they can catch you.

Are they allowed to go onto my college campus and get my schedule and look for me there?
Yes they can get you anywhere at any time.

I'm still confused, if I'm staying somewhere but not living here if someone comes out of the building can they serve them? Do they have the right to walk into my classroom and serve me?
No, they have to serve you personally. They can't hand it to someone else. They can come into your class room and serve you, but that would be unusual.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney