Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Mr. Walker filed for 120 day extention pro se on 2/13. On 2/15

his appointed PD filed for...
Mr. Walker filed for 120 day extention pro se on 2/13. On 2/15 his appointed PD filed for a 60 day extention and a response to the motion to dismiss. The PD still has made no effort to contact either Mr. Walker or responded to any emails I have sent. How long should we wait to file for reinstatement of the case and for appointment of new council. The time for the 60 day extention (if granted) will be up on 4/13. Also we have been told that the PD that was appointed is the only one in Alaska that does PCR's.
3/1/2012
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
You need to get a "power of attorney" from Mr. Walker which states you would have the ability to speak to his attorney on his behalf. Second you would make contact with the PD to find out what is going on. It is not necessarily required that an attorney filing an appeal or a PCR would even have to have any in depth conversation with the client, but they should have at least some contact to let the client know what is going on with the case because most of these cases depend on the record of the previous trial and not on any real new information from the defendant.

If you cannot get the PoA, then Mr. Walker needs to file a complaint if he has not heard from his attorney at all before 30 days from when the extension expires.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I have a "Power of Attorney" from Mr. Walker.I attached itto the last email I sent to the PD. I guess we will just wait a couple of weeks to see if he contacts either one of us. Thank you for you time and answer.
You should call the PD, do not wait for them to answer you, since most times they are so busy that they simply fail to call people back and this is one of those situations where the squeaky wheel does get the grease.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney