How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NateLawAnswers Your Own Question
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NateLawAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My vehicle was stolen and recovered by the Tampa police dept

Resolved Question:

My vehicle was stolen and recovered by the Tampa police dept with damages totaling approx $4000.00. After filing the police report, I discovered the suspect was an acquaintance of mine; and, I subsequently identified him to the police. Unaware of the insurance claim implications I signed a waiver not to prosecute the suspect during a discussion with the detective about the pros and cons. Somehow the detective was unaware that there were damages to my vehicle or now I think he may have advised me differently. The insurance company wants to determine if this claim is a "Stolen Vehicle" or "Collision" claim and is delaying paying for repairs until the police investigation is finalized.. The vehicle was recovered with drug paraphernalia not related to me. The police and have requested I take a polygraph test before they pursue the suspect. What are my rights here.? I am a victim not a criminal.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. There are a lot of moving parts here. What rights are you specifically asking about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I submit to a polygraph before the police confronts the suspect?
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
There's nothing wrong with that as you are the victim. In order for them to prosecute you must overcome your earlier decision not to prosecute. That can be accomplished by taking the polygraph and passing it.
NateLawAnswers and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you