NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
11217539

My vehicle was stolen and recovered by the Tampa police dept

My vehicle was stolen and recovered by the Tampa police dept with damages totaling approx $4000.00. After filing the police report, I discovered the suspect was an acquaintance of mine; and, I subsequently identified him to the police. Unaware of the insurance claim implications I signed a waiver not to prosecute the suspect during a discussion with the detective about the pros and cons. Somehow the detective was unaware that there were damages to my vehicle or now I think he may have advised me differently. The insurance company wants to determine if this claim is a "Stolen Vehicle" or "Collision" claim and is delaying paying for repairs until the police investigation is finalized.. The vehicle was recovered with drug paraphernalia not related to me. The police and have requested I take a polygraph test before they pursue the suspect. What are my rights here.? I am a victim not a criminal.
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. There are a lot of moving parts here. What rights are you specifically asking about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I submit to a polygraph before the police confronts the suspect?
There's nothing wrong with that as you are the victim. In order for them to prosecute you must overcome your earlier decision not to prosecute. That can be accomplished by taking the polygraph and passing it.