Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ive owned my BMW for 5 years and live in Arizona. I went to

Customer Question
I've owned my BMW for...
I've owned my BMW for 5 years and live in Arizona. I went to sell it, and found out through a Autocheck history report that it was branded a Lemon in California. It has a clean Arizona title with no mention of it being a lemon. I feel obviously frustrated that the Pre-Purchase-Inspection before I bought the vehicle did not include a basic VIN check for a history report. I obviously don't want to lose money by selling it for less than I already priced it at, but perspective buyers will certainly be scared off by this. What can I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2012
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 5 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Dear JACUSTOMER - If you bought the car in CA the statute of limitations is 4 years so you would be beyond the time to sue. If you bought the car in AZ the SOL is 6 years so you could sue the dealer for misrepresentation. It appears from your facts that the deal was consummated in CA and if that is the case you are beyond the CA statute of limitations for written contracts. Based on all these facts it would be a difficult case to win even without the SOL problem since obtain evidence that the seller know of all of this at the time of the sale may be a problem. Also, from a practical standpoint,the attorney fees for the suit may be more than the loss of value in the car and there's never any guarantee of success in a lawsuit.
No the issue is I bought the card 3rd party from an individual as a used vehicle- a clean Arizona title.

What my question really is, is it legal for in this case:

DESERT SOUTHWEST REGION AUTO AUCTION

To change the California LEMON title to a clean Arizona title?

I had no idea it was branded a lemon in California until 2 days ago. I've owned the vehicle for 5 years with no problems.

I hope this clears it up.
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Under CA lemon law 1793.24, the title is to be "permanently branded," which means you cannot get the brand on the title removed without a court order in CA. This means that in order to get the brand on the title removed you have to file a suit for declaratory judgment in the CA court against the DMV and present evidence as to why the title should be cleared.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney