How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102186
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married for 23 years, my ex had a son with another woman, we divorced in 2003. I wa

Customer Question

I was married for 23 years, my ex had a son with another woman, we divorced in 2003. I was confused, distraught and just wanting life to get back to some normalcy for me and our kids. He gave me the house and said we only needed one lawyer. He said since I got the house He gets to keep all of his 401k. We live in Texas. Looking back I know I agreed to things that could have helped me.... We made about 160 thou a year. I barly make 40 thou and struggle to even accomplish that... is there anything I can do after all these years? thanks for any help you can give me.... Michelle
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Hello Michelle and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. I am afraid you are not going to like my answer. If you signed off on the divorce and had an agreed filing, then it is highly unlikely that the Court is going to re-open the divorce from 2003 in 2012. The property is definitely not going to be redistributed. You can ask the Court for spousal support, but because you did not have any in 2003, the Court is unlikely to assign you any now - Texas courts are very stringent when it comes to spousal support.

In short, I am afraid the divorce is final. Again, I am sorry.

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people are morally wronged but have limited avenues to seek relief. Please understand that this is not the expert’s fault. I am sure that you prefer that I tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear. Please do not “shoot the messenger.” This medium of communication may not always effectively express emotion but do know that I understand that this may not be easy to hear and I empathize.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.