How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked in civil service for over twenty seven years all my

Customer Question

I worked in civil service for over twenty seven years all my working life. I would like to know why I cannot draw medicare and social security benefits. I do believe I have a little over thirty quarters. I did draw one check off of my wife social security benefits and I was told that I had to seen the money back. Do you think I can draw social security and disability because I am not well and must have a kidney transplant? Please help me to resolve this issue? Thank You Floyd
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Did you work for the state or local government? How old are you?

Did they give a reason for declining you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For Lucy, I worked under the local government. Iam sixty-six years old. They said I didnt qualify because I didnt have enough quarters and I wasnt eligible to draw under my wife.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Usually, when you work for state or local government, you do not contribute to Social Security. That's why they're telling you that you do not have a enough quarters - the time you spend in that position doesn't count. So, the starting point is to contact your former employer to see if they have a separate retirement plan which you are eligible to receive (most of them will).

You also have a right to submit a request to Social Security to see what eligible earnings you have.

Start with that, because that should explain the problem. I'm not really sure what the problem with your wife is, but it could be that she hasn't yet reached full retirement age. Any benefit you receive would be reduced by your pension, so if you are getting pension from your former employer, then you can't get Social Security on your wife's record. You also are eligible for Medicaid on her record at 65.

Disability also requires that you worked a certain amount of time for an eligible employer. If your employer did not pay into social security, and it sounds like they didn't, contact them to see if the local government offers any sort of disability programs or services that would help you.

Good luck.