Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

can I sue my wifes boyfriend for emotional damages in neva

Customer Question
da...
can I sue my wifes boyfriend for emotional damages in neva da
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2012
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 5 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Are you asking if he can be sued for interfering in your marriage?
yes
Unfortunately, the answer is "no." The reason is because, in 1979, the Nevada legislature passed a law abolishing the right to sue for "alienation of affections."

The law is: NRS 41.380 Causes of action abolished. All civil causes of action for breach of promise to marry, alienation of affections, and criminal conversation, are hereby abolished; but this section does not abolish any cause of action for criminal conversation which accrued before July 1, 1979.

I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney