How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawdoctor Your Own Question
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawdoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested at my place of business and taken to jail in

Customer Question

I was arrested at my place of business and taken to jail in a police car and they were in the process of booking me when it was discovered that the paper for my arrest was actually a citation. The arrest was for not paying my city merchants license, which i had paid, but city clerk had refused to process. The next day they had a front page story about my arrest(not a word about they had let me go because it wasn't a arrest warrant). I have since had to close my business because in our small town it caused my business to go downhill. Is this legal?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

I am so sorry that you have been through this indignity. The false arrest is one cause of action and the newspaper's printing of the false arrest when you were never booked is a cause of action for defamation. If the facts you have posted play out. The good news is that the type of lawyer you will need is a personal injury lawyer and most of these take this kind of case on a contingency fee basis which means you will not have to pay attorney's fees upfront, they will come out of whatever money he or she can get for you.

I would strongly encourage you to locate an attorney in your area who handles civil rights, false arrest and media defamation cases. The statute of limitations on these types of actions is usually short, 1 to 2 years.

The Missouri Bar Association has a lawyer referral service that can help you to find a lawyer:

Again, my condolences on this happening to you.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.