Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ive received numerous "form letters" from my insurance company

Customer Question
I've received numerous "form letters"...
I've received numerous "form letters" from my insurance company which have been incorrect and/or misleading. When I questioned this the answer hasconsistently been "they're form letters, sorry". Doesn't a company have some responsibility to give accurate and reliable written information?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2012
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Hello and welcome,

Did you suffer damages/injury as a result of the incorrect/misleading information?

I have acted on the information, or trusted the information. But my question is more basic that that. If I have a "form letter" that I send to companies am I held to everything in that form letter?

Yes, parties are normally held responsible for information provided to others, even where a form letter is involved, absent disclaimers or no duty to provide the information in the first place.

If you sustained some injury/damages as a result of reasonable reliance on the contents of the letter, you would normally have grounds to file suit for damages against the company, but it depends on whether your actions were reasonable and foreseeable typically.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer