How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEase Your Own Question
LegalEase, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Insane drug addicted brother-in-law accusing my wife of stealing

Resolved Question:

Insane drug addicted brother-in-law accusing my wife of stealing funds from their mothers investments and bank. Wife has been taking of her mothers bills and investment for the past 2 years. No money has been taken by her. She is not the legal guardian at this time but should be, as mother is no longer with it from time to time. Brother has bullied her and us and moved in and is isolating and screening her calls.We are afraid of him and trying not to let this esculate to violence. He said he is going to file a police report. I don't want to start spending money on a non issue that he is making into an issue. Any suggestions ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalEase replied 5 years ago.
Unless the brother in law has any power of attorney or other right, your wife doesn't have to show him anything nor does she have to prove herself.

However, your money would be best spent in getting your wife legal powers to handle your mother in law's affairs. That way there is really nothing he can do about it.

So long as there is a paper trail showing that your wife is above board on everything, her brother really has no grounds to file a police report, and it's likely that the police would make a quick investigation and be done. Unfortunately, in my experience, a mentally sick person, such as your wife's brother, can cause more problems than anybody wants to deal with and short of getting a restraining order against him, there's very little that can be done to keep him from causing problems.

On that note, if your wife feels like he's a danger to her mother, then a restraining order might be necessary.
LegalEase and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you