Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I need a letter to say im not responsible for, the debt that…

Customer Question
I need a letter to...
I need a letter to say i'm not responsible for, the debt that accurred from the counterfiet checks wrote aganst my checking account.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2012
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me more about what happened? Did someone write a counterfeit check using your checkbook, and now a creditor is attempting to collect on you? If so, did you ever file a police report?

Yes I consulted A lawyer. These Checks were not taking from my check book. they are copies of check with my routing number and old account on them. I was told to write a letter to the agency and state that these check were wrote on my acount and that I was not accountable as the check where counterfiet. These check were wrote in a totally different state. I need a drafted letter that I can send to this Recovery Services And be able to copyfor each recovery statmentthat I have.
Yes I consulted A lawyer. These Checks were not taking from my check book. they are copies of check with my routing number and old account on them. I was told to write a letter to the agency and state that these check were wrote on my acount and that I was not accountable as the check where counterfiet. These check were wrote in a totally different state. I need a drafted letter that I can send to this Recovery Services And be able to copy for each recovery statment that I have.
Hello,Thank you for your follow up - it is taking me a moment to type out the answer; please hold on.
My apologies about the wait.

I am going to assume that this letter is being sent out within 30 days of their initial contact to you. If so, you can combine this together with your FDCPA demand for debt validation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_validation

Here is a sample letter:

To Whom It May Concern:

I am sending this letter to you in response to a notice I received from you on (date of letter). Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.

Please provide me with the following:
What the money you say I owe is for;
Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
Identify the original creditor;
Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account;
Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent.

Please understand that I may have been the victim of identity theft. While I am still putting together the pieces, I believe someone may have faked a check from me. If so, then I am not responsible for this debt.

I await validation of the debt and also your response to these facts of possible ID fraud.

Send certified. Do not expect the collection agency to do you any favors, however. They do not care - they are simply there to collect. In the end, they will keep pushing unless you show to their in-house attorney or to the Court that you were defrauded by a preponderance of the evidence. A letter from your bank confirming that the checks were faked may help here; but in the end, the Court is the trier of fact.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law