How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102192
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a person w/Power of Attorney be sued for money owed, or

Resolved Question:

Can a person w/Power of Attorney be sued for money owed, or should the person represented by POA be sued for money owed in the state of Ga?

Where there are two siblings of a living parent w/dementia, which sibling has legal authority to apply for POA w/out consulting the other.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.



Absolutely not. A Power of Attorney holder is an agent, which means they simply represent the party that is the debtor. The agent cannot be sued, for they are simply acting on the debtor's behalf and do not incur any liability. 31-36-1, et seq.


I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you need more information, please use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, if we continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.


Ely and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you