Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can the president make laws without congress approval?

No. The Congress has the authority to pass laws which the President must sign before they become laws.

However, the President does have certain powers of the Executive Branch under Article III of the 
Constitution. For instance:

·         The President is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces and as such can command the armed forces.

·         The President can make treaties with Senate approval.

·         The President can nominate the heads of governmental departments and judges with Senate approval.

·         The President can issue executive orders.

·         The President can issue pardons for federal offenses.

·         The President can convene Congress for special sessions.

Of the above, Executive Orders are the most problematic. They are legally binding orders given by the President, acting as the head of the Executive Branch, to Federal Administrative Agencies. Executive Orders are generally used to direct federal agencies and officials in their execution of congressionally established laws or policies. Although they are not considered "laws" as such, they have the same legal weight as laws passed by Congress, and they do not need Congressional approval.

Read full interaction below »

1/9/2012
Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney

However, the President does have certain powers of the Executive Branch under Article III of the Constitution. For instance:

• The President is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces and as such can command the armed forces.
  • The President can make treaties with Senate approval.
  • The President can nominate the heads of governmental departments and judges with Senate approval.
  • The President can issue executive orders.
  • The President can issue pardons for federal offenses.
  • The President can convene Congress for special sessions.

Of the above, Executive Orders are the most problematic. They are legally binding orders given by the President, acting as the head of the Executive Branch, to Federal Administrative Agencies. Executive Orders are generally used to direct federal agencies and officials in their execution of congressionally established laws or policies. Although they are not considered "laws" as such, they have the same legal weight as laws passed by Congress, and they do not need Congressional approval.

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney