How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
Type Your Legal Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 22yr old employed son is on my health insurance . he works

Customer Question

my 22yr old employed son is on my health insurance . he works as an interventionist for drug rehab last month he checked himself into a rehabilitation center "ocean Breeze' in pompano beach because he claims he had become addicted to drugs . Who is responsible for the Provider resposibility that is not covered by the insurance company? the person receiving the services or the primary insured member?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.

xavierjd :

Thanks for using It will be my pleasure to assist you.

Have you received a bill for services not covered?

Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.
Also, do you still want your son to be an insured person under your plan?

Expert:  xavierjd replied 5 years ago.
First, you may wish to contact your insurance company to confirm who is responsible for uninsured services.

In the meantime, generally speaking, patients 18 years of age or older are legally responsible for their accounts, regardless of with whom they live, who holds the insurance, who claims them as dependents or their status as a student. If the patient is under 18 years of age, or is of diminished capacity, both parents, regardless of marital status or the legal guardian(s), are in most cases responsible for the account.

In many cases, the patient receiving the services (assuming s/he is over 18 and has full mental capacity) signs a waiver for services rendered which states that s/he will be responsible for payment for any services not covered by the insurance company.

If you were to be sued for uninsured costs, you could add your son onto the lawsuit as a person who should be responsible to pay in full, or contribute to the cost. If for some reason, you were found responsible to pay, you could sue your son for reimbursement. However, this scenario puts the cart before the horse. Generally, if the person is over 18, s/he will be responsible for payment.

You may wish to consider removing your son from your health insurance if you believe that it is necessary to do so.

I hope you find this information useful. If you have follow up questions, please ask. If you are satisfied with the answer, PLEASE PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that the thread can be closed and I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.