How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55719
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im in florida. i signed the contract

Customer Question

i'm in florida. i signed the contract for a car purchase and paid a small deposit but did not move the car off the lot. I asked to back out of the deal before leaving the dealership. can I back out of this deal?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. Florida's 3-day cooling off period does not apply to car purchases, but because you did not take the car, your only downside here is the loss of your small deposit. Even though in default, because the dealer still has the car, they have no damages.



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.


Richard and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any sort of formal communication I should try to make to cancel the deal and at least attempt to get the money $500 back?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I would send them a letter telling that you have changed your mind and demand your deposit back. Inform them that the deposit would be to protect them against damage, but that since you never took the car, they could have suffered no damage. Let them know if they do not return your deposit, you will file a small claims court suit against them. You may not win that suit, but many times the threat will cause them to return your deposit nonetheless.