How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55598
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father in law loaned $9000.00 to his nephew in Iowa a few

Resolved Question:

My father in law loaned $9000.00 to his nephew in Iowa a few years ago with a promisary note
stating that they were to pay him back in small $150.00 monthly payments. The note was signed by the nephew and one payment was made. Since that time the father in law died at 95 and the nephew in his 80's claiming that he is broke and can't make the payments. This took place in 2008. Can we (my wife) file a lien against his home which we are told is owned free and clear? His home is up for sale. Can we expect to be successful on the filing or should we try some other route ? Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. You first must file a claim against the nephew and get a judgment awarded against him. Then, once you get the judgment awarded in your favor, you can then place a lien on the property to collect from the sales proceeds from the sale.



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.


Richard and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you