Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

what court cases can I cite to show nexus for school to suspend

Customer Question
student for off campus behavior-...
what court cases can I cite to show nexus for school to suspend student for off campus behavior- i am from NY

also what is the state statue for conduct unbecoming a professional- failure to report child abuse?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2012
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
In NY, School Commissioner’s decisions have upheld the suspension of students for off-campus conduct (Appeal of K.S., 43 Ed Dept Rep 492, Decision No. 15,063; Appeal of Ravick, 40 id. 262, Decision No. 14,477; Appeal of Orman, 39 id. 811, Decision No. 14,389). The courts too have stated that students may be disciplined for conduct that occurred outside of the school where that conduct may endanger the health or safety of pupils within the educational system or adversely affect the educative process (Matter of Coghlan v. Bd. of Educ. of Liverpool Cent. School Dist., 262 AD2d 949, citing Pollnow v. Glennon, 594 F.Supp. 220, 224, affd 757 F.2d 496).

Under NY Social Services law, Article 6 Section 420, the Child Protective Services Code, it is a Class A misdemeanor for a mandatory reported who fails to report suspected child abuse.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Dear XXXXX,

What if the person is a teacher and the child is a student-16? And this encounter occurred at a strip club? Can the teacher be brought up on charges as a criminal or as a state employee for behavior unbecoming? Do you know what law can I cite to uphold this?

If the person had an improper sexual encounter with a minor this is more than just child abuse, it can be much more severe and it has nothing to do with what you can "cite" (by the way this is not a case law research service, which costs attorneys $160 per hour and up to access the data bases and is well beyond the scope of this service. This needs to be reported to the police, it has nothing to do with them being a teacher (although it puts them in a position of authority over the minor which makes the charge more severe) or a state employee. It depends on what conduct occurred with the minor at the strip club as to the exact charges.

poor choice of words- he was heard from another employee when mentioning the case "she gives good lap dances." so that is why i am trying to think this out for the child and possibly employee.

The school code of conduct does not mention these type of issues nor does the state discipline code which was why i was looking for another decision that could help give me some guidance.

Is there a way to not make this a criminal case for the child? Can the school be liable?

If she is a minor engaging in this activity it is illegal, anything anyone does will result in criminal charges. It is also suspected abuse and any covered school employee who suspects abuse must report this to the police or they can be charged with a misdemeanor for failure to report. The school can be liable for knowing about this possible abuse situation and not reporting it so some action needs to be taken and it really is not much of a question as to that fact. It has nothing to do with the discipline code, it has to do with the Penal Code and Child Protection chapter.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney