Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I live in Nebraska and have misdemeanor convictions on my

Customer Question

I live in Nebraska and have misdemeanor convictions on my record this is preventing me from finding employment I am considering hiring an attorney to have the convictions set aside will this show any future employers a clean record or what exactly does it mean. I would hate to spend the money in there is no gain.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 years ago.
Sam :

Hi

Sam :

Once you are able to get all those matter expunged, they will be removed from the public view.

Sam :

It means that prospective employers will not see any of it on a background check.

Sam :

When you discuss the expungement process with a local attorney, be sure to discuss having the matter "sealed" as well. This means, that the arrest records will be removed from the arresting agencies data base and also any national databases.

Sam :

But it needs to be Sealed. And sometimes, that is a separate process

JACUSTOMER-7jleo3s0- :

I was informed that they could not be expunged only set aside what is the difference

JACUSTOMER-7jleo3s0- :

can they be set aside and sealed

Sam :

That means that the conviction is "set aside" as in forgiven. But the records would still be there for view.

Sam :

I suggest that you may want to discuss getting a Pardon from the Governor and then that will make you eligible for the expungement

JACUSTOMER-7jleo3s0- :

so can prospective employers still see my record if it is set aside and would it be worth doing it or does it make any difference and could they be sealed if they aren't expunged just set aside

Sam :

In the state of Nebraska there are no laws or statutes that allow a complete expungement of ones criminal history. Any law enforcement contact, arrests, and convictions will remain on ones history forever. However, you can file an application to the Nebraska Board of Pardons requesting a pardon be granted on your convictions. If a pardon is granted to you, it would be indicated on your history record. It is recommended that a copy of any pardon granted be presented to any prospective employers, schools, etc.

Sam :

It is always worth it. Employers will hire with a Set Aside. The records will still be available to them, but you can present the information on the Pardon

Sam :

Of course, this process is not a quick one

JACUSTOMER-7jleo3s0- :

how hard is it to receive a pardon

Sam :

It takes a year or so

Sam :

It's not easy, but worth it

Sam :

Use this link to read more and get the application

Sam :
Expert:  Sam replied 5 years ago.
Hi

We can continue here