Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

my dad passed away on 12 16 2011 with no will how can iget

my dad passed away on 12 16 2011 with no will how can iget his land in my name
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. I'm presuming you are his only child and there was no surviving spouse. His estate will need to be distributed pursuant to Georgia's intestate succession rules because he died without a will. If there is a surviving spouse or you have other siblings, they would share in the ownership of the land. But, you will need to petition the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death to be appointed the representative of his estate. You would then sign a Quit Claim Deed on behalf of his estate transferring the land. The Deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records in the city/county where the property is located.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there r 4 sons an 2 girls
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

In that case, the property would need to be distributed in undivided 1/6 interests to each child. If you wanted the entire property, you would have to buy the interests of the other siblings.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there r 4 sons an 2 girls thanks for the advise
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.