How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Legal Your Own Question
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i found out a complaint has been filed against me. i have yet

This answer was rated:

i found out a complaint has been filed against me. i have yet to be served with a summons. court records show declaration of non service. what needs to happen for them to serve me through publication?
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

They would have to prove that they have done every thing they can to serve you personally and have been literally unable to locate you. Once they have served you by publication they will have to file notice of that service with the court.

You need to continue to check the court file for service. The file is public record and would be available at any time. Just checking the file does nothing to get service on you. I agree with doing nothing until service is obtained.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is a debt collector representing capital one. cap one has my address. why cant these jokers find me? i hope it is because they dont have enough proof. i have been checking court records obsessively and the last entry was 12/08 declaration of non service. the summons was filed on 11/22. if they get the opportunity to serve me by publication, it will say so in the online case summary, correct?
You are correct that the case summary will state that they have served you by publication. You may want to go to the courthouse and check the court file directly instead of relying on the only summary. Courts are very slow to implement technology and sometimes the online system is not sufficiently current. I would check at the courthouse directly every 2-3 months if possible.

Please remember that the statute of limitations on the debt is 4 years. If they fail to serve you within 4 years of your last payment then you must respond to any subsequent suit that they are barred by the statute of limitations for the debt.
John Legal and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you