How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NateLawAnswers Your Own Question
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal practice.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NateLawAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get an international divorce registered?

Resolved Question:

How can I get an international divorce registered?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  NateLawAnswers replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

There is no provision for registering a foreign divorce in Virginia. However, it need not be registered to be valid. Virginia will still recognize a Mexican divorce assuming both parties had notice of the proceedings and were able to participate in the divorce process. All you can do is have it certified as legitimate by the American embassy in Mexico City according to 22 C.F.R. 52. The embassy will attach a seal to it certifying it is a legitimate document of the foreign court.

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.

NateLawAnswers and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you