Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What does the 5th and 6th Amendment have to do with ones right

What does the 5th and...
What does the 5th and 6th Amendment have to do with one’s right to a fair trial?

A short reply would suffice, thanks.
12/1/2011
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Annotations to the Fifth Amendment start at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt5toc_user.html

FIFTH AMENDMENT 1273
RIGHTS OF PERSONS 1273
INDICTMENT BY GRAND JURY 1273
DOUBLE JEOPARDY 1279
Development and Scope 1279
Reprosecution Following Mistrial 1284
Reprosecution Following Acquittal 1288
Acquittal by Jury 1290
Acquittal by the Trial Judge 1290
Trial Court Rulings Terminating Trial Before Verdict 1291
FIFTH AMENDMENT 1293
RIGHTS OF PERSONS 1293
Reprosecution Following Conviction 1293
Reprosecution After Reversal on Defendant’s Appeal 1293
Sentence Increases 1295
“For the Same Offence” 1297
Legislative Discretion as to Multiple Sentences 1297
The “Same Transaction” Problem 1301
FIFTH AMENDMENT 1302
RIGHTS OF PERSONS 1302
SELF–INCRIMINATION 1302
Development and Scope 1302
The Power To Compel Testimony and Disclosure 1312
Immunity 1312
Required Records Doctrine 1315
Reporting and Disclosure 1317
FIFTH AMENDMENT 1321
RIGHTS OF PERSONS 1321
SELF–INCRIMINATION 1321
Confessions: Police Interrogation, Due Process, and Self– Incrimination 1321
The Common Law Rule 1322
McNabb–Mallory Doctrine 1323
State Confession Cases 1324
From the Voluntariness Standard to Miranda 1327
Miranda v. Arizona 1330
FIFTH AMENDMENT 1340
RIGHTS OF PERSONS 1340
The Operation of the Exclusionary Rule 1340
Supreme Court Review 1340
Procedure in the Trial Courts 1341
DUE PROCESS 1343
History and Scope 1343
Scope
///
The Fifth:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

The Sixth is annotated at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/amdt6toc_user.html

RIGHTS OF ACCUSED IN CRIMINAL PROSECUTIONS
ASSISTANCE OF COUNSEL
Development of an Absolute Right to Counsel at Trial
Powell v. Alabama
Johnson v. Zerbst
Betts v. Brady and Progeny
Gideon v. Wainwright
Protection of the Right to Retained Counsel
Effective Assistance of Counsel
Self–Representation
Right to Assistance of Counsel in Nontrial Situations
Judicial Proceedings Before Trial
Custodial Interrogation
Lineups and Other Identification Situations
Post–Conviction Proceedings
Noncriminal and Investigatory Proceedings
///
The Sixth:
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Thank you for accepting my answer.
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer