How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a victum of fraud and working with English courts to obtain

This answer was rated:

I am a victum of fraud and working with English courts to obtain restitution. When I receive the restitution from the UK court, will I need to claim this on my US income tax return? Is there any specific type of documentation I should be asking the UK court for, to satisfy my tax reporting needs here in the US? I may be obtaining restitution in the form of gold which I would then need to sell, once received, here in the US.
Thank you for your question.

Restitution for the most part is treated as taxable income by the IRS. The only thing you need to obtain is a court order from the UK courts, and then follow the IRS guidelines (look to Publication 525 below) to properly claim your award as some of your award might not be taxable. so long as you have the court award and the description of what you received is your restitution, it is sufficient for US purposes.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions