Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received a letter from an attorney hired by a landscape business

Customer Question
that did work for me...
I received a letter from an attorney hired by a landscape business that did work for me in 2006. I never paid for the work, because the invoice was for $8,500 and the agreed amount was $6,500. After I received the invoice I contacted them to let them know I will not pay this amount, and as soon as they send me a new invoice with the correct amount I would pay the $6,500. After I made multiple attempts with no response. This is now 5 years later with no communication at all, and I get this letter. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2011
Lawyer: LADYLAWYER, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

Customer:

Any advice?

LADYLAWYER :

They have 6 years to collect of this debt so the statute of limitaions is not up yet and they can still sue. But if the original contract was for $6,500 and you did not sign anyting saying they could change it, then you are not obligated to pay the extra 2K.

LADYLAWYER :

The attorney will probably try and strong arm you or even take you to court. But again, unless they can prove you agreed to the $8,500, you only owe them $6,500.,

Customer:

The tricky thing is they were a family friend. My wife signed an agreement stating what they were doing, but we had many conversations that $6,500 was all we had to spend.

LADYLAWYER :

I would go ahead and send a check by certified mail for the $6,500, if you plan to use a check. This will show that you tried to settle this debt in good faith and may keep you from having to pay court costs if this goes to court.

LADYLAWYER :

Does it say on the agreement that you will pay $8,500?

Customer:

there is a line for $4,500 and $2,000, but also has rates listed on the bottom. They started the job in May, and finished in Sept. I did not receive an invoice until almost Dec.

Customer:

Nowhere on the contract does it say $8,500

LADYLAWYER :

Okay, it sounds like the law is going to be on your side here based on what you have told me.

Customer:

do you think I should see an attorney?

LADYLAWYER :

The late invoice is not going to be an issue, but they only charges talked about and encapsulated in the document equates to the $6,500. Rate specifications on the bottom of the contract are not going to matter.

LADYLAWYER :

I think it can get very expensive and perhaps cost more than the 2K extra your neighbors want if you get an attorney involved.

LADYLAWYER :

You would do better to offter the other attorney a little more to see if he would settle.

Customer:

What do you think it would cost to sit down with someone to review the documents with?

LADYLAWYER :

To just review the docs, maybe an hour's worth of work so it could be anywhere from $200-50 depending on what the attorney charges.

LADYLAWYER :

sorry, 200-500

LADYLAWYER :

If you wanted representation they may charge you 1000-2500 right off the bat.

Customer:

ok thanks for the help!

LADYLAWYER :

And then if there is not a favorable outcome you will be out more money. So you can see that sometimes, the best thing for you to consider doing is settling at a higher amount than you want to.

LADYLAWYER :

You can end up saivng money in the long run.

LADYLAWYER :

But from what you have told me here, you seem to have the upper hand.

LADYLAWYER :

You're welcome1

LADYLAWYER :

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them! If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer