Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am the First Officer of a motorcycle riding club that wants

Customer Question
to put on a fund...
I am the First Officer of a motorcycle riding club that wants to put on a fund raising event in April 2012 to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. This event will feature a poker run for which participants will pay a fee and a cash prize will be awarded. It also features a Golf Cart Raffle, with the prize being a tricked-out golf cart purchased with raffle proceeds. We will also have a bucket raffle in which prizes are donated by the community and tickets are purchased for a chance to win the prize(s) of choice. Lastly, a silent auction is held for higher value items. We are a non-profit group with all net proceeds going to St. Jude. We would like to apply for a tax exemption status for this event. How do we go about this. We are located in Slidell, LA.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2011
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Are you a registered non-profit entity (LLC, corporation)?
No we are not.
Since you are not a registered non-profit entity under Section 501(c)(7) or (c)(10) of the IRS code, you would not be able to apply for tax exemptions for anything. As far as the State and the federal government is concerned you are a bunch of individuals who are just collecting money for a charity, but you cannot get a tax exempt certificate from the state for the club. That said your club can contact your charity and work with them under their tax exemption if they agree.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

As a Chapter of Southern Cruisers Riding Club, we have access to a tax exempt number thru St. Jude. I need to get with them and make sure I am clear on the permitted uses of that number. We were just trying to get our own number in order to establish a bank account where funds could be held until we sent it to the charity. Thanks for your help.
If you want to do that, then you guys need to form your own 501c(10) or (c)(7) corporation which is a non-profit organization and then you could apply for your own EIN with the IRS and open your own bank accounts.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney