How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David L Your Own Question
David L
David L, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3255
Experience:  Corporate, Real Estate, Estate Planning, Probate and General Litigation attorney 14+ years
Type Your Legal Question Here...
David L is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you do a restraining order against someone? THANKS

This answer was rated:

How do you do a restraining order against someone? THANKS
Hello. You can take a trip to your local county courthouse. There is a department that handles restraining orders. Generally, if it's an emergency, they will grant you a temporary restraining order. If not, the matter will be set for hearing before a judge. The judge will determine whether granting a restraining order is appropriate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having a woman and her daughter coming over every day to our house, My hubby is disabled and she is reallly getting to be a pain even after many requests not to come. It is very stressfull so would that be considered an emergency since hubby is disabled. I would have to be the one to go to the court house. She says she LOVES him!
It probably wouldn't be considered an emergency. You also have the option of not letting them come into your home, which would be easier than going through the process of obtaining a restraining order.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We live in FL. so they sit outside and only enter the house when I'm not there. Is there a charge for filing? THANKS

I don't know off hand what the filing fee would be, but you can contact the clerk of court in the morning and they will give you the process to follow as well as any fees.

Here is a good description of the process from the Broward County website:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by this----option of not letting them come into your home
I meant that it is your home. You can refuse them entry when they try to come in. However, your husband would have to cooperate and also refuse them entry.
David L and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you