How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An inmate was seen in Compton superior court on 11/10/11 for

This answer was rated:

An inmate was seen in Compton superior court on 11/10/11 for a warrant on a 2007 dui. He has just served 8 months out of a 16 month sentence for a probation violation in both county and state prison facilities. He was given timed served and sentenced to 0 days. He was taken back to LA Men's central jail on 11/10/11 at 7:45 pm and is still incarcerated as of today 11/12/11 at noon. How can we get him released?
The method by which you get someone out of jail that should be released is called a "Habeas Corpus Petition". However, the only way to get this done is to hire someone to go down and file the petition with the court and get the judge to order his release.

Since you can't go to the court and do it yourself, you may try calling the District Attorney's office and asking them to help you out. Ask for the attorney who prosecuted the inmates case and tell them your situation.

There is no sure fire way of getting him released other than going to the court and getting an order.

You can also call the legal aid office in LA and ask if they would send someone to file a Habeas petition on the inmates behalf.

Best of luck,
Zachary D. Norris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If he has a court date of 1/9/2012 is it possible they can hold him until then even with the sentence of zero days?
What is the court date for? There may be some other legal justification that they are holding him. Even if his sentence is over, if he is being held as a material witness this could be the reason. Also, if he owes money on a fine, they may be holding him for this reason too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am unclear why there is a court date - he said he was told that the matter was dismissed with time served but he does not have the paperwork as he is incarcerated in LA where apparently you are not allowed to hold on to your paperwork. Is there a way for me to get his paperwork online?
I am not aware of any government website which holds criminal records in an active case on line for the public to look at.

Your best bet is trying the district attorney or calling Legal Aid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help Zachary.
Best, J
I'm sorry I can't do more for you and I hope you are able to get the inmate out as soon as possible. If you are satisfied with my services, please press Accept so I can get paid for my work.

Best of Luck,
Zachary D. Norris
TexLaw and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you