How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

import DVDs

Resolved Question:

i have imported some dvds from china and forfeiture by US Customs I received a letter today says:: To stop the summary forteiture porceedings and send the case to court, you must file a claim and post a bond. the "cash" bond must be a cashier's check made payable to U.S. Customs in the sum of $5,000.00 or 10% of the above "forfeiture value ($5,520.00) of the claimed proprerty, whichever is lower, but not less than $250.00. we have enclosed a bond and claim form for your convenience, The bond can be waived only in proven inability to pay. Your claim and bond must be filed within 20 days from the date of the first publication of the Notice of Seizure and Intent to Forfeit or the article(s) will be forfeited to the United States and disposed of according to law. The first legal notice will appear in the Los Angeles daily journal under " Legal Notice" on or about Nov.09,2011 and claims must be filed by Nov.29,2011 Note: the "cash" bond is NOT a penalty, it does NOT entitle you to return of the property, it should NOT be paid unless you want your case sent to Federal Court ------ I don't not what to do. Please help thanks jc
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
What you should do depends on what you want to do. Do you want to fight the seizure, or do you want to surrender the property. While I am not privy to the exact facts of why Customs seized your shipment, I assume from your statement that the shipment was DVDs from China that there is likely an issue involving copyright law. In general, Customs will prevent the importation of material which violates United States copyright law. Thus, it is likely the belief of US Customs that the DVDs are pirated. If this is the case, then you should not waste your time attempting to post bond, as you would likely lose the fight and the DVDs would be forfeited anyway. However, if it is not true that the DVDs are pirated and you can show that you purchased them from a legitimate source, then you need to either place the bond or apply for an exemption as instructed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, You mean I can totally ignore the letter from the US Customs
about the Notice of Forfeiture
if i do nothing will they send me to court ????
Expert:  TexLaw replied 5 years ago.
No, if you do nothing they will simply destroy the DVDs.
TexLaw and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you