Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a Federal officer goto a municipal court judge and get

Customer Question
a search warrant affidavit signed...
Can a Federal officer goto a municipal court judge and get a search warrant affidavit signed for a residence in a different county of that judges juridiction
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Legal
11/1/2011
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Yes, municipal court judges have the same authority as a district court judge for purposes of issuing search warrants. A municipal court judge can issue a search warrant to be effectuated in any part of the State of Michigan.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

You gave me a court case before is it one in reference to this question or is it any legal references to this question?

MCL 780.651 does not distinguish between municipal or district court judges in the issuance of warrants. It only uses the term "judge."

The only limitation of a municipal court judge is in the civil court arena. Municipal court and district court judges in Michigan have identical powers in criminal matters.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney