JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Can a Federal officer goto a municipal court judge and get

Can a Federal officer goto a municipal court judge and get a search warrant affidavit signed for a residence in a different county of that judges juridiction
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Yes, municipal court judges have the same authority as a district court judge for purposes of issuing search warrants. A municipal court judge can issue a search warrant to be effectuated in any part of the State of Michigan.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You gave me a court case before is it one in reference to this question or is it any legal references to this question?

MCL 780.651 does not distinguish between municipal or district court judges in the issuance of warrants. It only uses the term "judge."

The only limitation of a municipal court judge is in the civil court arena. Municipal court and district court judges in Michigan have identical powers in criminal matters.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.