How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 55468
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small remodeling business licensed in the state of

Resolved Question:

I have a small remodeling business licensed in the state of Minnesota.
In the past I have worked for a Realtor who markets foreclosed homes after I repair them.
The last house I worked on for this realtor was back in December of 2010. I submitted an invoice on December 29th, 2010 and have still not seen payment. The realtor claims that they have not been payed by the bank and that is why they have not payed my company
the $ 4,775.00 they owe me. I do not work for the bank, I have worked for the realtor and thus been payed for other jobs by the realtor. The most I have ever had to wait for payment is 4 weeks. While I do not have a written contract with this company, I can prove by other invoices and payments the past practice of paying my company within 4 weeks. Do I have a good case in small claims or other court situations to recover my
money that is owed me? I also have a email from the owner of the company from July of 2010 that states he will start to pay me out of his own pocket as he can until payed in full. I have not seen payment one or heard from him since this email.
Willie Norgaarden
Wil-Serv Remodeling
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. Since he isn't paying voluntarily, you should file a claim against him. You are absolutely right in that you did not contract with the bank and whether or not the bank pays him is totally irrelevant. Once you get awarded a judgment in your favor, then you can have the sheriff serve a summons on him for a debtor examination. That forces him to meet you in court and answer questions under oath about his assets. After you obtain that information you have the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, and/or have the sheriff seize other property to satisfy the debt.



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you